is a new specialist medical facility on Bealey Avenue. Designed as a centre of excellence, the facility has a focus on skin medicine, skin cancer surgery and cosmetic medicine and surgery. This will be a facility with specialist expertise across a wide field.
- The philosophy of the founders is to create a professional and attractive environment for patients and staff and to build an identity as a ‘centre of excellence’.
- Recognises that many surgical and laser skin services are otherwise unavailable to patients in the public hospitals and covers this short fall.
- A well resourced, multidisciplinary facility with a focus on skin disorders including skin cancer, cosmetic medicine and surgery and general dermatology. See our facilities overview.
- Sound business principles and governance with good employer practices.
- Southern Cross affiliated for skin cancer and dermatological services.
- Reinvestment of surplus funds into Avenue Health facilities and innovation.
- Helpful probono focus part of the future direction for Avenue Health.
- Energy efficiency and solar power component as an environmental focus and to enhance the physical and local environment noting previous Christchurch beautification awards at this site.
Current trends in medical facilities
The diagnosis and treatment of skin lesions and disease requires an effective interface between consultation and diagnostic procedures such as skin analysis and biopsy. At Avenue Health
the consultation rooms are ideally appointed for this and are set up for specialist use.
Recent advances in the management of skin cancer and cosmetic surgery emphasise effective, quick recovery procedures, such as skin cancer and cosmetic surgery carried out under local anaesthetic. Advances in the use of tumescent anaesthesia, tissue glues and contact cooling systems have also improved outcomes and patient safety.
More complex skin cancers can be removed with margin controlled surgery (Mohs surgery) and there are now many indications for treatments with light based devices including lasers and photodynamic therapy.
The tumescent liposuction technique is another important advance in body contouring and large lipoma treatment and further refinements such as Vaser Lipo™ and power assisted Lipo Microaire™ are available for use by specialists in the Avenue Health theatres.
High standard of construction
The Avenue Health building is designed to exceed New Zealand standards for natural disasters such as earthquake, fire, flood and power interruption, and meets all requirements for day stay surgery and health, safety and hygiene for patients and staff.
Recent trends overseas also look towards management of patients in a single, comfortable and professional environment. Avenue Health offers this.
Avenue Health is located on the edge of the central city in Bealey Avenue
on the convenient 'city side'. This area can be considered the alternative 'health precinct' being in close' proximity to Southern Cross Hospital, Forté Health, Specialists at 9, the Southern Endoscopy Centre and the After Hours Surgery.
Access to this facility is excellent with plenty of landscaped car parking and tree lined ambience with pin oaks, liquidambar, magnolia and cherry blossom trees of over 30 years establishment. This property has also received city council beautification awards.